He’s young, he’s talented and he’s a SuperStar! I have had the honour to interview Shawn, a local celebrity in the media industry. At the young age of 13, he had triumphed over more than 4000+ contestants when he was crowned the overall champion for Season 2 of Campus Superstar. Know more about his life after winning the competition right now!
1. How old were you when you first developed interests in music?
As far as I can remember, I’ve been performing since I was really young, and I always love the feeling of being on the stage. Back then in 2004, I remember watching Daphne Khoo on Singapore Idol and I really liked her voice. I listen to her songs all the time and she is such a great song writer/singer. And then in the same year, it was Teachers Day so volunteered to perform in my school, and after I finished singing, the teachers started chanting ENCORE! Then I got this feeling that this might be my niche and I might be doing this sometime.
2. On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you?
Probably 6? I think in this world there are so many things we as human wants, and sometimes we don’t really need it. But being materialistic, we will naturally compare ourselves to the rest who are doing better and we want what they have as well. We will crave and want more in this world, and we will never be satisfied. And at the end of the day it’s hard being happy because there is so much going on in our minds.
3. After being crowned champion in the hit reality singing competition Campus Superstar (2007 Season Two), what were the major changes in your life?
well…. Life is completely different. Back then when I won, I didn’t really took all the fame seriously because… I’m only 13?! all you wanna do at that age is have fun and hang out with your friends! And it kinda took my life away, i guess? I don’t really get to be myself so much when I’m out because everyone is constantly staring and judging you, and it’s really tough. But i’ve learnt a lot. I’ve learnt how to deal and talk to different people, with what i have. And usually most of the people only get such experience when they step into the working world. But for me it kinda started early. So it’s a good learning experience for me.
4. How are you spending your time nowadays?
Right now I’m serving the nation, in the Republic of Singapore Navy (just like you, Jerome haha) I still perform and do shows once in awhile when I have the time.
5. Is Beyoncé an inspiration to you and why?
Hell YES. I spend most of my free time watching different types of singers performing live in concerts and the only singer who impress me so much, is Beyoncé. She is so so so so talented and amazing. I can’t even! From a singer, to a dancer, to a songwriter to a director, to a wife, to a mother, to an icon, to a fashion designer. Even Michelle Obama wants to be Beyoncé. She could sing LIVE so well that it’s somehow impossible! But she made it looks so easy. It’s official that perfection has another name…… .BEYONCÉ.
6. If given a chance to meet Beyoncé in person, what would you say to her?
I don’t think I will get a chance to speak to her because I’ll probably faint immediately after she says hi. And Jerome, stop giving me hopes about meeting her please we all know it’s impossible hahahahaha.
7. What hidden talents do you have?
Hidden talents? I have very typical “talents” like playing some instruments but it’s probably a boring answer haha. Well people sometimes engage me to do photography and videography for them because they say I’m good at it. haha It’s also another hobby. I like to play around with my cameras and snap/record any random things. And I do editing as well…. y’all might wanna check out my editing in my video page. uh uh. click here for the link :)
8. What are the 5 things you can’t live without?
1) The Internet….. I mean who can live without it!? okay maybe some people can but I really can’t. I literally google everything i don’t know. EVERYTHING. So if there is no internet…. I’M GONNA BE SO… BRAINLESS? sigh/ relying too much on the internet is also a bad thing.
2) Music… Sometimes when I can’t express myself or I can’t get my thoughts into words, there will always be a song to describe how I’m feeling at the moment.
3) My Camera. I always think that we have to capture every moment because once they’re gone, they will be gone forever. The only way we can remember them is through pictures. Like they said, they speak a thousand words..
4) Food….. I spend 24/7 eating. Which explains why I’m getting chubbier hahaha but hecka good food’s everywhere. You just can’t resist! YOU CAN’T.
5) Definitely, most importantly…. Love. Everyone needs love.
Thank you so much for the lovely chat Shawn!
Find out more about Shawk Tok >> More